We-Ko-Pa Golf Club - Cholla Course
Fort McDowell, Arizona 85264
The Cholla course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club is the original, Scott Miller design that plays to a challenging 7,225 yards from the tips. Though perhaps more challenging than the neighboring Saguaro, the Cholla features more forced carries but less bunkers, only 75 of them spread over the entire golf course. You’re far more likely to contend with the natural sand of the surrounding Sonora desert.
The Cholla course is the original course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club near Scottsdale, designed by Scott Miller. Like its newer sister course, the Seguaro, the Cholla is routed through unspoiled Sonoran desert, full or wash, cacti, ironweed and natural boulders.
There are no houses to spoil the round of golf here (and no out-of-bounds stakes, either).
It is perhaps a more demanding golf course than the Seguaro, with the desert coming more into play on holes, which feature several intimidating forced carries.
No. 8, a 587-yard par-5, is a downhill dogleg that runs along a box canyon. Your approach must carry an arroyo waste area to a pint-size putting surface. The par-3s at Cholla are definite challenges: playing at 178-, 207-, 220- and 177-yards, respectively. The 345-yard, par-4 15th requires an accurate tee shot; anything short and left will be swallowed by the course’s largest arroyo canyon. No. 18 might be the course’s hardest, if it’s playing into the wind. This 432-yard par 4 is all downhill to a split fairway that is fronted by an arroyo forced carry and two huge traps. Then there’s the approach, carrying water.
At same facility
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club: Yavapai's Stunning Target Course Bound For Honors
- Sun, ants or contrarians agree We-Ko-Pa is great desert course
- Original Cholla at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club near Scottsdale, Arizona is no backup to heralded Saguaro Course
- How 'bout that We-Ko-Pa? Original Cholla course still a Scottsdale golf favorite
- We-Ko-Pa Golf Club near Scottsdale offers tranquility and a great 36-hole experience
- Gallery: We-Ko-Pa Golf Club's Cholla Course near Scottsdale
- Gallery: Cholla course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona
- At We-Ko-Pa Golf Club near Scottsdale, the Cholla and Saguaro Courses battle for bragging rights
- Gallery: Renovations coming to the Cholla Course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club outside of Scottsdale
- Gallery: Cholla Course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona opens after summer facelift
Golf course details
- Holes: 18
- Designed by: Scott Miller
- Public/Private: Public/Resort
- Year opened: 2001
- Golf Season: Year round
- Guest Policy: Open
- Tee times welcomed: Yes
- Fairways: Bermuda Grass
- Greens: TiffDwarf Grass
- Pro in house: Yes
- Driving range: Yes
- Rental clubs: Yes
- Rental carts: Yes
Green fees price ranges
- Week days: $75 - $190
- Weekends: $75 - $190
- Metal spikes allowed: No
- Dress code: Proper golf attire, no denim.
- Credit cards accepted: Yes
Length, slope and rating for each tee