Enjoy serenity and lots of green grass on the Devil's Claw Course at Whirlwind Golf Club in Chandler
CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Making up 18 of the 36 holes at Whirlwind Golf Club is Devil's Claw, which opened in 2000, set on Gila River American Indian community property 12 miles west of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport in Chandler.
The Gary Panks design plays just more than 7,000 yards from the championship tees and features gently rolling, wide fairways, lots of sand and large, sloping greens with run-off areas. A small lake is the centerpiece for two scenic par 3s, including the seventh hole that has a waterfall beside the green on the right side.
In addition to Devil's Claw, Troon Golf-managed Whirlwind Golf Club (which was named Troon's "Facility of the Year" in 2011) is also home to the 18-hole Cattail, also designed by Panks and opened in 2002 and plays more than 7,300 yards. There is also a two-sided driving range, bar and restaurant on site at Whirlwind.
For on-site lodging, guests can stay at the 500-room Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, which is a short shuttle ride to the golf club. Or you can stay in a casino hotel property, the 242-room Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino.
- Hardly evil: Devil's Claw at Whirlwind Golf Club is an easy goin' round in Phoenix-Scottsdale
- Destination Guide: Plan your Scottsdale-area golf vacation with GolfArizona.com
- Great Scott! Seven days of golf in Scottsdale
- The Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Whirlwind Golf Club in Chandler go
- Conjure up good karma at Whirlwind Golf Club's Cattail golf course in Chandler